Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm Going To JAIL!

Where I'm 'currently working' seems to have become such a fluid concept that even I have to check with myself occasionally to make sure I'm headed to the right job.

A couple of weeks ago Bill, an old coworker from the SEKRCC, called me wanting to know if he could use me as a personal reference on a job application. We were Correctional Officers together at the jail; he quit just over a year ago, shortly before I left that job as well. He told me that he was thinking seriously of going back to work at the jail. I thought he must be nuts, and told him so! He talked (he's a talker...) about how much he loved the job (gosh, so did I), and how he'd missed it since being gone (gosh, so do I), and how comfortable he had been there (gosh...)

So the seed had been planted.

On Tuesday Jason, my old partner, drove up to our house in his new car to say 'hi'. He got out in SEKRCC jail uniform! He said he'd been back working there about a week, and that Bill is scheduled to start back next Monday. He complained about his new partner being a loser, and said he missed working with me. (Gosh... do I miss any of that?) I had to go in the house to get ready for work, but he chatted with Brian for a few minutes about being rehired. WOW. It's like they are re-organizing the 'old crew'.

That seed had begun to grow.

Yesterday I had to go to the county court house to get our new tags for the car and truck. Since I was already in the building, I decided to stop by the jail just to see what it 'felt like'. The reception I was given was amazing. Hugs and smiles and catch-up-conversation... and an application. Today I took back the application and my resume, which seemed to be almost un-necessary as they had already began spreading the joyous news that I was coming back to work.

I can't believe I'm doing this, and I'm shocked at how HAPPY I feel about it. Honestly, the kicker was this morning when I got my paycheck from US Cellular for the entire month of June. It was for a lesser amount than my bi-monthly checks were at the jail. No benefits at US C, great benefits at the jail. No vacation or holiday pay at US C, great vacation and holiday pay at the jail. No health insurance offered at US C, health insurance not only offered but the premium is paid in full at the jail. Obviously terrible pay at US C, very competitive pay for our area at the jail. It looks like early next week I'll be starting back working for SEKRCC!

So I'll be quitting the US Cellular job on Monday, so tomorrow will be my last day actually working there. I wouldn't even work tomorrow, but my co-worker Shelly is going to be gone. Now all I have to decide is what to do about the liquor store job. After working there tonight and tomorrow night, I'm sure I'll find my answer. Change is constant!

See y'all later!
Officer Harper

1 comment:

Nay said...

Whoo Hooo!!! Do what makes you happy!!