Thursday, June 28, 2007

Adding Insult To Injury

Boss J-- and his wife stopped by the drive thru liquor window last evening while I was working, jovially asking how the evening was going and making jokes and small-talk. Not a mention of 'the incident'. When I got home last night, there was a letter from him waiting in my mailbox. It was an apology of sorts. Mostly it was a long and drawn out detailed accounting of all of the events of the past year that led to/contributed to his reaction and subsequent inappropriate conduct. So, rather than an apology, I read it to be more of an explanation to excuse the behavior. I still don't know what to do. I felt very uncomfortable working there the last 2 nights. It didn't feel FUN as it usually always does. The fun factor is the only reason that I wanted to remain working there, even after being disrespected so blatantly by my employer. If it ceases to be fun, it's not worth the stress. We DO need the extra income, but *honestly* it's just chump change at the wage they pay, and would be easily replaceable.

On a semi-related note... I am toying with the idea of going back to work at the jail. They have been advertising heavily in the classified ads for several weeks. It's been exactly a year since I left my job there. 2 of my good friends who worked there with me and had also moved on to other jobs have returned to the jail in the past few weeks. There was some stress involved with that job, and I really disliked the loud obnoxious abrasive personality of my direct supervisor. But I liked the job itself, felt like I was doing something valueable to society, and was liked by coworkers and inmates alike. I met my husband there (we were both correctional officers). The benefits were good, health insurance paid 100%, vacation, holiday pay, etc. My current job(s) don't offer any benefits of any kind. Hmmm, unless that 15% discount on alcohol I get at the liquor store can be considered a benefit. Ha ha.

Lots to think about.

No comments: